Friday, June 12, 2009

Homeschooling what nots

For the past 5 years I have been a homeschoolin' Mama who can't make up her mind about curriculum. There are so many great choices out there and my indecisive nature makes it just about impossible. Last year we tried to do our lesson plan on our own without the help of a charter school. I really loved everything about it! I found this free curriculum plan called Ambleside Online that uses the Charlotte Mason method that really appealed to us. She believed in using living books to educate children in all subjects, and to keep the lessons short. I loved loved loved the sound of this so much and decided to try it out for a year. We all love to read and thought this would fit in with our life style. Well, now that the year is over I am asking my oldest what she learned and she can't tell me anything except that she learned about manners!? YA, the red flags went up in my head real fast and now we are back to square one. I looked around at local charter schools, did my research, and came to the conclusion that homeschooling is going to be a lot of hard work. I thought that if I did it on my own it would be easier but it wasn't, really. It was way too easy to skip lessons for the week and go play. So we went back to CAVA which is an online charter school. I really like this program and we all are excited to be rejoining. If any of you are considering homeschooling and would like a credentialed teacher to be accountable to, this is your ticket.

3 comments:

  1. Hey homeschoolin' mama! I saw your comment on my blog, so I thought I'd come on over and check yours out! There are a lot of home schoolers in Fresno! You should email me! fresnomoments@gmail.com (thats my spam email, but if you email me, Ill send you my real one.. I just dont want to post it online!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll have to tell me how CAVA goes with older graders. For Kindergartner, with Danielle it was WAY TOO MUCH!! I am going to the CV Learning Center open house on Thursday, we are still signed up with CVHS, but traveling to Kingsburg is not fun at all :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I here ya on traveling. I was considering Mountain Home Charter, but the drive would be too much. Have you heard of them? I will let you know how it goes with CAVA. We are a little scared about the work load, but I'm trying not to think about it. I heard that the transition from 3rd to 4th is huge. EEK!

    ReplyDelete